Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Just One More Day With You

I entered the Monthly Challenge for May at Vintage Plum. The monthly challenges require the use of the current kit in your project. I loved the May Kit (but I love them all)!

Here's what I did. The photo in this layout is of me, (around age 8) my younger sister Emmy (age 5) and my Grandma Idad.

The proposal (by the lovable DT member Beth P.) for the challenge was to answer the question:

If you had one day to do ANYTHING your heart desires (money being no object), what would you do?


This layout is very very personal. I think this is the most emotion I've ever put into a layout. I think it translated to the page. I hope my beloved grandmother is smiling down.

Here is some background info:

My Grandma Idad (short for Trinidad) passed away about the time I graduated from High School...summer of 1994. We were close. She took care of me and my sisters when we were kids....I wish we knew how lucky we were to be with her...I would have cherished the last days I had with her.

My last most vivid memory of her was our car pulling away from the driveway headed for the airport. She was holding onto the big black iron gate at the front of the house....crying. I was about 13 and devastated. My father was in the Navy and we were moving to Seattle, Washington. Not long after, she was diagnosed with cancer. I miss her.


So, my answer to the proposed question:

If I had one more day to do anything, I'd spend a day with her. I would like it to be on her birthday.....May 16th. I'd want my whole family together and I'd introduce her to my husband and children. She would have loved to meet them.

Remember how I blogged about those fabulous canvas embellies I bought? I used 2 of them in this layout. What makes this even more special is that my friend, Jessi handmade those beautiful embellishments. I knew there was a reason I HAD TO HAVE THEM. They were destined to be on this page to honor her. Thank you again Jess! Omg...I think I'll have to frame this!

BETH! What an awesome challenge! You're phenomenal!
Are you inspired by this challenge? Create something and upload to the general gallery at Vintage Plum! If you've got the May Kit, submit your challenge!
Don't have it? Well, the June Kit will release on June 1st! You can enter the June Monthly Challenge proposed soon after the kit release!
Here are a couple sneak peek links:
2) on Jessi's blog

And I hear, tomorrow there will be a sneak peek on Beth's Blog!

3 comments:

  1. I love it soooooooooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I love how you used the fabric tag!! so cool! Aren't those some cool colors in the kit!! Wait until you see the June kit! heeee think "summer"!!
    I get to finally play with it tonight. so, I should have some sneaks up soon!
    Have a good day, love! :D
    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful and touching layout. I guess part of life is learning from our past. My Dad past away from cancer 2 years ago (2 weeks after our second daughter was born) and I still kick myself in the @$$ for not having spent more of his final days with him. I am going to do a layout based on that challenge. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That my dear friend is from other supplies. But, I DID get a layout and a card done tonight with the June kit. I can't take pics until tomorrow. So, peaks will be tomorrow night! heeee
    Talk to you soon! :D
    B

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and commenting!!! You've brightened my day!

BLOGWEAR