Thursday, October 24, 2013

Creating with Liquid Pearls!



Hey Friends!  My long-anticipated Liquid Pearls class is VERY close to being released!  I'm just adding the finishing touches and I'll let you know when it's up, running, and available for purchase.  It's a self-paced class and available immediately upon purchase.

Here's a little more info about it:

Liquid Pearls are fabulous products that add shine, dimension, color and texture to your cards. If you’re stumped on ways to use them, this class is for you. Through video format, I show you how to use Liquid Pearls beyond the basic dot embellishing you may already know. I've spent hours of research and play to come up with techniques on how to get the most from Liquid Pearls. Stamp, paint, and embellish while learning to employ stencils, patterned paper, and stamps to create beautiful visual centerpieces on your cards. Included are PDFs in full color for easy reference of the many techniques you’ll learn. The PDFs feature close ups of each technique and even a few cards I've created over the years to illustrate how these techniques can be used. Included are 6 new cards made specifically for this class which are almost exclusively made using Liquid Pearls. You can whip up amazing and one-of-a-kind cards using the frequently underestimated power of Liquid Pearls. 

I have a few other classes already up and running.  Click HERE for my current class offerings.  I will let you know as soon as Card Making with Liquid Pearls is ready for purchase.

I also have a tutorial to share with you today.  If you follow the blog at The Art Studio for Scrapbook News and Review, you may have already seen it.



Hello Everyone! It's me Mo! I thought I'd share a quick and fun tutorial with fabulous splashes of color and ideas on how to design with die-cuts, punches, mists, Liquid Pearls and patterned paper.

I really try to put my die-cuts and punches to good use and it’s always fun to create your own embellishments for use on layouts and cards. Today, I’ll show you a misting technique and a fun way to use heart die-cuts in a layout .

Supplies
Patterned Papers
Heart die-cuts or punches
Glittered Cardstock
Flower
Liquid Pearls
Fabric and lace trim
Sequin waste
Mist
Glue gun
Journaling pen
Glitter glue
Alphabet stickers




Step One: I wanted to focus my mist on only the top left corner of my layout to create a backdrop of a sky. To do this, take a piece of scratch paper and rip out a corner of it. Lay it down on your page and cover any additional areas with scratch paper so that mist does not accidentally get on those areas.



Step Two: Lay down some sequin waste, or any other mask you desire.



Step Three: Mist with your favorite color mist. I used blue for the color of the sky.



Step Four: After cutting or punching out your heart die-cuts, arrange them on your layout. I wanted to mix patterns and texture so I chose to use some glittered cardstock, two different patterns, and a book page pattern. I turned over a couple heart die-cuts to use as journaling areas. Stagger the hearts and vary the different patterns and colors, overlapping for interest. In constructing my layout design, I keep in mind balance. I decide where I want the title to sit, and then I add my fun element on the opposite side to balance it. Design tip: I tend to plot out a design on my foundation page first. I take all the elements, arrange, and rearrange them until I find something I like. I take a quick photo with my iPhone or camera so that I can reconstruct the elements later.



Step Five: Once I’m happy with the design, I glue them down and add embellishments. I use a low heat glue gun to adhere embellishments since I tend to use heavier pieces not necessarily designed for scrapbooking. It is also very useful and secure in gluing down fabric and other trim.

It’s the details that make a layout memorable! Let’s go over a couple really simple tricks I used on my layout.



I didn't like how two of my hearts blended too much into the background. The heart with the book page print and the white heart with “2007” journaled into it really needed to pop off the page slightly, so I chose to outline them with glitter glue.



For some extra detail, I added some liquid pearls in varying sizes to the misted area. I dotted them into the existing misted circles. I also added them to one of the hearts as shown in the photo above. I like to make groupings of odd numbers, preferable 3 because odd clusters are more eye-pleasing.

Other options to consider:
Mist the die-cut hearts for more color
Use texture plates on the die cut pieces for more texture, ink raised areas if you choose.



Silly Winos by Maureen Esquillo-Kao Supplies Glittered Cardstock: American Crafts; Patterned Paper: Sassafras Lass, Bella BLVD, October Afternoon, Pebbles Inc; Flower: Prima; Alphabet Stickers: American Crafts; Mist: Maya Road; Liquid Pearls: Ranger; Heart Dies: My Favorite Things; Other: Fabric, patterned paper, lace trim, butterflies, bead necklace, sequin waste

I hope you found some inspiration today. I already have a Scrapbooking with Punches and Die-Cuts class available.  I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and thanks for stopping by!


1 comment:

  1. Loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee your lo!! LOVING the colors and those hearts!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting and commenting!!! You've brightened my day!

BLOGWEAR